A N I TA L I A N MA S T E R P I E C E
RECIPE (SERVES 4/6)
By Mauro Matta, head chef at Pepita Cafè in La Thuile.
Time: 30 mins preparation, 8 to 12 hours chilling.
• 4 eggs
• 120g caster
• 500g mascarpone
• Around 30 ‘Savoyard’ finger biscuits
• Bitter strong coffee
• Cocoa powder
• A few drops of Amaretto
1. Make your coffee and add the Ameretto.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks.
3. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until your mixture is nice and
smooth. Then gradually stir in the mascarpone until the mixture is
4. Beat the egg whites until they’re nice and firm, and then delicately
fold them into the egg, sugar and mascarpone mixture.
5. Dip the biscuits into the coffee mixture (cover them, but make
sure they don’t become soggy) and line the bottom of your dish
with some of them.
6. Pour part of the mascarpone mixture over the biscuits and then
add another layer of biscuits on top. Keep adding different layers
of mascarpone mixture and biscuits. Top layer being mascarpone.
7. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
8. Leave the Tiramisu in a cool place or preferably a fridge for at
least 8 hours until set.